OVATION AWARD WINNER FOR BEST HOME RENOVATION-500- 699K
Hockey-focused family wants open, welcoming home that can host their children’s teams.
“Bright, magnificent, memorable and explicitly modern, inside and out. Massive, open entertaining space better connected to more-fully-utilized basement with new exercise, storage and wine rooms” was their words when they described to SENSITIVE DESIGN, what they were looking for.
Moving to a different house was not an option. Municipal setback/top-of-bank regulations restricted a new home unless built further from the creek, if allowed at all. Restrictions to protect streamside, existing big trees and already near max. FSR created a big challenge.
The clients are now ecstatic about their new home and dramatically increased functionality. We re-created a non-conforming home with modest addition ,
removed walls to create spacious kitchen-greatroom open to living-room, with window and ceiling treatments unifying the living areas and high ceilings with additional raised roof over kitchen
Rooms and enlarged windows designed to enhance connection with forest surroundings and play areas, while providing privacy.
Some features are:
• Unique quartz countertop extends under the KOLBE Windows- Eclipse system connecting indoor and outdoor with serving bar between kitchen and Creekside deck.
• Large-format floor-tiles reflect scale of space, and link with exterior design.
• Easy driveway access to sports-equipment-storage behind frosted-glass-panelled garage-style door.
• New lighted-concrete staircase, built-in planters and oversize glass-panelled door create welcoming entrance.
• New large wrap-around composite deck.
• Sleek concrete-fibre siding panels paired with corrugated metal for contemporary low-maintenance elegance without high cost. Metal corrugated roof panels create continuity.